Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Big Chop: My Sisterlocks Journey Has Ended.......


Rockin' the incy weeny teeny weeny afro
Is that a name? Lol.


For Now.....

I must say I never thought this day would come. I was always talking about starting over, but never had the courage of doing so. I was so stuck on how long my hair had gotten. I never had hair that long(unless it was fake) I never knew my hair had the possibility of growing that long. I guess now that I do know, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to let it go.


Top Photos: 9/2010 with locks
Bottom Photos: 10/2010 without locks



I must say that special day came quicker than I planned. After having the baby (4 months or so) I experienced thinning edges, I had the same problem with my second child. Although I was hoping and praying that I would not suffer, the hair loss happened anyway and I think this time was worse then the last. So at that moment I was feeling disgusted with my hair/locks it wasn't looking the way that I wanted it too. I had majority of my locks short in the front and very long in the back, I could not deal with the mullet look any longer. So I started cutting my locks in the back short. Every few days I cut them about 1-2 inches short, until I got tired of looking at them at all. My original plan was to grow out my new growth without retightening, until it got to a certain length. I just couldn't take it anymore so one day I started cutting them one by one, and the good thing about it is I did not cry, lol. I actually felt kind of liberated once I cut my locks off, I feel strange saying that but I did. It honestly felt like I was supposed to do so and I'm so glad I did because I would have never found out what I do now.


These are from different areas mostly in the top/side.
I have more detailing pictures I'll possibly share in another post.

As you can see by the photos I've experienced hair loss in places more than my edges, I had no idea it was this bad.  Suprisingly I did not lose one lock, but they were getting thinner. I remain optimistic about my hair, it is only hair right? I already see improvement in my edges, however I'm not so sure about the other areas. Some areas on my scalp look as if they're scarred where no folliciles are sprouting. I'm a little worried about those areas because that usually means no hair will grow in that area. Who'd a thought I would be going bald before 30?  I honestly don't think my scalp was like this before locks because I'm pretty sure my consultant at that time would have told me. Then again who knows. I would never known because I never paid any attention to my hair until after I got locks. Which is why I don't feel bad for cutting my hair. Its like getting to know me and my hair for the first time. I've realized that I have two textures possibly three, I've also realized that my hair is not as nappy as I thought it was, I'm learning that my hair in the back is actually thick, (well except for one part) I have severe thinning issues, in the front and top of my hair. I also think that my hair in the back, might be naturally curly, its kind of too short to tell at this point. I'm really looking forward to this new journey for some reason, I feel like I missed out, but don't worry locks we shall meet again.

I really wanted to share this post and specially reach out to  Bajan Lilly, girl you are not alone. I was trying to hang in there but I could no longer. I don't regret my decision one bit. I always try to keep my mind on the positives instead of the negatives it is only hair right....? I have hopes about it growing back but if it doesn't that is fine too. As long as I have God and  my family by my side, and a sane mind, I have no complaints.


Are you ready for another surprise.... My hubby cut his locks as well. To be honest I was a little shocked when he did but because I know it was for a good cause, so I couldn't get mad. Anyhow we are both experiencing new beginnings in life and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time. ME and MY HUBBY ARE ONE! I've known that from the beginning but it is more prevalent as the years go by. I honeslty think even if it wasn't for the circumstances he would have done it anyway just to be supportive. My hubby was surprised at my hair cut, he knew it was coming but he had no idea how soon. I admit the first day he was taken aback, but he got over it quickly, and love him for it. However my only issue is that I don't feel as sexy as I  did with my long locks, but I'm sure I will get over that soon. He is also planning to grow back his locks as well. Maybe will even start on the same, date. Lol!



In the mean time while me and hubby were putting our locks to rest,  I was preparing my son to give birth to his, lol. I'm installing Brotherlocks on my son, photos coming soon!

He has anticipation written all over his face, NOT! Lol



So what do I do now? Unfortunately I wear a wig (only @ work though) and it is so NOT ME.


The wig actually looks better on me, but I can't stand it though!


I hate it! Seriously I only wear it to work( 3 days out the week and even that is too many days to be wearing a wig), and the only reason why I wear it is because of the thin/bald spots in my hair. The shortness doesn't bother me if only my scalp was full all over, I have no shame in rockin that incy weeny teeny weeny afro. I just hope that my hair will fill in and soon, because I feel like I'm selling out, I so wish they had natural wigs besides afro's. I'm ready to let the real me out! I plan to show the real me by Jan 1st if not sooner.

After reading a few blogs, I've come to find out that I might need to see a dermatologist. That is indeed my plan if I dont see any progress in a month or so.
I actually feel better now that I've gottent that off my chest, hope my story gives hope to someone, one way or another.

My next post will be on what not to do to your Sisterlocks. I've been meaning to write this for a while now, but it's part of the reason why I wanted to start my journey over in the first place. I'm pretty sure this story will help several ladies out there.

My Sisterlocks Business is going well. I have new photos to post, I will post them on FB and on here some time in the near future.

Just wanted to get my story out hope all is well with everyone.

Until Next Time Much Love

23 comments:

Cashana said...

V- Thanks for sharing. I think folks need to see all aspects of having locks. It was brave of you to do and it was what you have wanted to do for a long while, I remember from the older blogs you wrote. Everyone's journey is different but there is much to learn from each one.

new2locs said...

Such a great testimony!! And the fact that hubby joined you so you wouldn't feel alone, I think that is so sweet! I am sure once your hair grows & fills in it will not be that bad, although going to the dermatogist is not a bad idea. I know I need to see one. I have a thin spot right in the top of my head & it's 2-3 inches in diameter if not larger. Sometimes it can be a chore to conceal it unless I pin my hair up. I hope you keep us updated, I'm sure you've inspired more than just me with this post.

Locs2Envy said...

Hey V,

So sorry to see you going through such a stressful time. As a professional cosmetologist I use products from the company below. They have great quality hair, wigs and hair pieces. As I told Baja, they also have lock wigs. The more expensive hair pieces are very light weight and you barely know that you are even wearing a wig. Another option for something lite weight would be a quick weave. If you aren't familiar with a quick weave (no hair is attached to your own hair or scalp) let me know and I will email you the details. It's very inexpensive compared to most good quality wigs.

Natural High said...

Thank you V,

This was very touching. I am sad to see your locks go but I understand. It is just hair. However you decide to wear your hair I wish you healthy hair and happiness!

Bajan Lily said...

First off - thanks for the 'shout out' and encouragement. I think you're one of the few who REALLY gets me on this. It is such a hard thing to have to do... also I'm a teensy bit jealous because you still have SOME hair (although very thin), I will have to go much much lower than you! *smile* (Seriously, I have NO hair!!!)

I love your 'Black Love' - you and your husband make me smile ALL THE TIME! How cool of him to cut his hair too - you are truly blessed (both of you), I am so glad you have him for encouragement and support!

Ps - your kids are sooooooooooooooo cute!

All the best! ALWAYS! You get nothing but love and respect from me :)

Kreyola said...

Can I say wow and thank you! This was such a moving blog post for me (I started crying at work). You are so blessed with not only a wonderful husband but two beautiful children. I'm so glad you decided to share your story. I keep reading about courage’s woman talking about their story and it makes me so proud. Be blessed and stay true and I look forward to your next sisterlocks set.

Trina said...

WOW V!! The twa looks great on you. RIP to your Sisterlocks though. I am sure once you get the thinning under control you will be fine. I went through that same thing with my edges after the birth of my son. I didn't lose many locks and the hair is growing back which I am happy about. Keep us posted on what the dermatologist says.

The Woman Inside said...

You are an awesome woman who is in love and married with to an awesome man!!! You and Bajan are in my thoughts but I know that you ladies are fighters and will find a way to overcome. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your loss. I hope things get better for you and your hair. I am happy that your DH is supportive! :)
I am on year 3 of my 2nd set. I missed my first set, and made the choice to grow another set.
Take Care~

anthia-ofo said...

All I can say is wow! I'm honored that you shared this with us in blogworld, photos and all. I like that positive tone in your post. You're a fighter. Keep the faith and keep moving on. I know what it feels like to lose hair and nobody knows why. It's horrific.(In my case, I did the tests and nothing showed) I comitted it to God and kept it moving. I have a small loc piece I use on occasion, but generally I wear just my own hair. One thing, it's taught me to be really grateful for all the good things I have, including my hair.I stand in the mirror and thank God everyday for it. When I hear folks gripe and make disparing remarks about their hair I cringe inside. They don't know how blessed they are. Don't feel fake about using wigs. You're not fake. Just practical. Only a genuine person could share something so personal. Girl, I'm with you. You've been added to my prayer list. You and Bajan. ((hugs))

Titus 2 Thandi said...

When I started reading this I immediately thought of Bajan Lily. Sis, thank you for showing us the truth.Thank you for the pictures and for this sad but inspiring post.Your genuineness is amazing.I pray your hair comes back without you needing to see a doctor, that after this, this aspect of your life will be plain sailing.And yay for hubby.once again, he proves that he's a star.Blessings

Penny said...

I am sorry...You are beautiful with or without sisterlocks. Rock your TWA. I can't imagine you doing the wig thing but if you must...Be fearless and love what you see. Plz.. c a dermatologist and post about it if its not too personal. It may help someone. You have a great family.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

First I want to say thank you to all of you beautiful ladies for taking the time to stop by my blog and read my story and also for taking the extra time to leave a comment. It really means alot to me. I really appreciate it.

@ Cashana

You are right everybody's journey is different. I would have never thought that my journey would have ended so soon, but I try not to think of it as an ending more like an unexpected interruption.

@ New2Locs
If I don't see any changes in the
next few months I think I will see a dermatologist.

@ Nihu
Thanks for the website, I've seen the natural wigs and the loc'd wig made me laugh, although it's natural it wouldn't look natural on me, lol. I've come to realize that I just dont do wigs or weave, nautral or not they are not me, as soon as my spaces fill in the wig has got to go! Thanks for your help anyways.

@ Natural High
Healthy hair is what I need indeed, thanks.

@ Bajan Lily

Thanks I'm glad I was of some encouragement, but your recent post is what inspired me to share my story so you wouldn't feel alone. Thanks for the compliments.

@ Kreyola

Thanks for stopping by, your recent post is also what lead me to share my story. I tried to respond to your post but for somereason I couldn't, just know that I wanted to reach out to you as well.

@ Trina
Thanks for the compliments, I went through this with my 2nd child as well I was kind of expecting the hair loss I just didn't know it was this bad. Glad your edges are groing back.

@ The Woman Inside
Thanks for the kind words, you are right WE are fighters, and WE WILL get through this.

@ Queenli

Thanks for the nice words, I have seen both sets, I think your first set was beautiful and your second set is just as beautiful too. I don't remember why you got rid of your first set. However I'm looking forward to my second set!

@Anthia-Ofo
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I remember years ago stalinkg your blog of your first set of locks before you got Sisterlocks. Both sets were/are beautiful! I have found a Sisterlocks Consultant that makes pieces. so If my hair does not fill in, I might just have to take that route.

@ Thandi

Thanks for the kind words, I hope that my hair fills in before having to go see a doctor as well.

@ Penny
Thanks for the compliments. WHen I show a few people my hair they are shocked at first, but then they say it looks good on me, I like it too, I just don't care for the thine spots, as soon as they fill in I will be burning the wigs, beacuse they are so not me, I only wear the wigs to work, and rock a hair covering and hat the other days. But soon they will all go.

Thanks again ladies for stopping by my blog.

HAIR I AM said...

When I first saw the post about you ending your SLs journey, I felt very disappointed because you were one of my inspirations when I first started. After reading your story, my spirits have been lifted. Your story has touched and lifted my spirits. You are very honest and brave to share this with us. Thank you, thank you. Please keep us informed of your progress. God bless you and your family.

Nubian1 said...

Wow,there seems to be a lot of ladies out there going through similar issues re thin, or bald issues. Me included!

You can add grey hairs that get coloured every 5 weeks to the equation.....dont think locks in general like being coloured that frequently.....i can only go by my experience.

What a palava!

Well it must be a releaf for you because am sure you would have been thinking about the big chop for ages now.

Get some big earings and jewellery and rock that short crop girl. Sexy is as sexy can be. ; 0

KnottyAuthor said...

oh, hugs and LOTS of love sis! I know your decision was SO painful and liberating. Im proud of you...dont forget about The Aloe Vera juice spray to try and restimulate those follicles....much love and hugs, always my sister u are! Keep it Knotty!

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Hair loss for a woman can be traumatic. I am an ICU oncology RN and my patients express the most challenging aspect to receiving chemotherapy is loosing their hair. So because of this, many of them opt for the "big chop" before starting treatment. I also suggest seeing a dermatologist asap!! Do not wait any longer. It's a possibility your hair loss could be hormonal, alopecia or something else such as a fungal infection. Whatever the case may be see a doc now. Hang in there you still look marvelous and you have a wonderful man who supports you (-:

TheNerd said...

I feel your pani, my locks started falling out badly at the 4 month mark, I wasn't brave enough to even take pictures during that time because I had lock\\st the front 3 rows and a row in the back, my DH is still bring them back to health! It is a hard run, and I can say I was tempted to do the big chop as well! Good luck to you, you look great, and I think it will actually be a little easier to just start from scratch based on my journey! I should post something soon! Awesome of your hubby to do the BC too! :)

BlaqKofi said...

Wow, V! You did it girl. I'm so proud of you and your mindset. It takes a woman very secure woman to do what's best for you rather than what's expected of you. That's called being empowered. I feel confident that your entire head will fill in and you'll be back with an even healthier head of locks. What a testimony you are for countless other women. I'm proud to call you friend and fellow Consultant. Very much looking forward to your post on what "not to do" with Sisterlocks. Keep leading by example - you're a powerful witness. Give hubby BIG PROPS from Blaq. You two look like "one." That's how it should be. Your girl, Blaq

Lady Butterfly said...

Hey V, I have so much respect for you and your journey. Over the past couple of years, you have really been an inspiration to me. You have always exemplified beauty on the inside as well as the outside! So enjoy your sassy new crop as we look forward to your full, healthy set of gorgeous Sisterlocks. Stay encouraged and stay beautiful! Much respect to the TRUE love that you and DH share. God bless you. I am so glad that you have decided to regrow your sisterlocks. It's amazing what Mommy's have to go through during and after pregnancy for our children. For me it's my blood pressure. Again much love and as always my dear sister...Lock ON and on and on~

Khandi said...

I haven't been on my blog for ages and when I saw the title to this post i nearly spat out my drink. But after reading it i understand your decision and why you did it. I love the incy weeny TWA, as you call it. It really suits you and i pray it fills in quickly so you can rock it. Thanx for sharing your experience and i look forward to following the new chapter in your journey. I often feel the same wishing i knew wht i know now about my hair. I feel excited for you as you start it again, watching as it changes etc. I recall how excited i was.

Your husband sounds so wonderful and supportive and i am sure you will continue to enjoy your hair journey together (and life). Your kids are adorable.

I look fwd to the post of your son's brotherlocs and the what not to do with SL
Much Love
Khandee

PhePhi said...

V, i haven't ck'd out people's blogs in some time. i specifically clicked on urs from my blogroll just 2 c what's going on and...OMG! u & ur hubby cut ur locs??? thank u so much 4 sharing & the 2 of u look GREAT!! WOOOWWWW! i've done the BC 3 times so far, & like u say, it's just hair. good 4 u!! & good luck on whatever journey u decide to embark upon next. can't w8 2 follow ur baby's journey.

peace,

phe

Anonymous said...

My goodness...it's been so long since I've read your blog.

I feel so humbled to have read this post. We forget that it is just hair and nothing more. I'm proud of you! You work that TWA with some hoop earrings and go about your business. You look good! I adore you and your husband and your babies are soooo cute.

I've missed you and your posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...