Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Saturday, August 4, 2007

Turning Over a New Leaf




Well I decided to make a change in my life. I decided to change my eating habbits to a vegetarian lifestyle. I've been thinking about this change for some time but couldn't decided when it was all going to happen. I'm not really a big meat eater so I knew that this change would be easy. At first I was going to wait until I had the baby and then I thought to myslef why wait. Me being some what anal I had to start at the beginning of something on a specific date. So I decided to start on August first. Now before I just up and decided to make this lifestyle change I did my research first from a couple of books and websites. As I was doing my research I didn't realize how much info there was on a vegetarian lifestyle. I also didn't realize how many types of vegetarians there where. For now I'm adapting to the lacto-ovo-vegetarian lifestyle. Which means that I still eat milk and egg products. However I do plan on converting to vegan in the near future which is a person who doens't eat any animal products. I must also add that I had the help and the inspiration to go ahead and make this change from Meikmeika. She makes it seem so easy. I also love when she shares her food photos on the blog, the food looks really delicious. Anyhow let me not forget about Naturally Sophia and Queenli. Now if there are any more Sisters out there that are vegetarian or vegan please share any advice or ideas or even recipes they are more than welcomed.





The reason I decided to make this change was to better my health. I'm not getting any younger and I would like to be around when my kids have kids. There are some great health beneifts for adapting to this life style so I figured I could use it. So far everything is going okay. I haven't relapsed or anything I don't think that I will. As I have been shopping I realize that they have a lot of things for vegetarians now, supermarkets have come a long way. They are really making things easy for vegetarians. They have a lot of meat substitutes which actually don't taste so bad. I think I will adjust to this lifestyle pretty easily. I just have to figure out what more I can do with tofu other than drinking it in a smoothie. lol ( That was a hint to you Meikmeika, If you have any tips please share because I'm clueless when it come to tofu. While I 'm talking to you have you ever tried rice cheese? They seem to make a decent cheese substitute if you haven't already maybe you should give it a try.) Back to everyone else, My husband has also decided to adapt to this lifestyle with me. Although I know his intentions are good in trying to support me and this change I hope he last because he is good at starting things and sometimes not finishing them but hopefully with the support from easch other we can make this lifestyle change last and make it second nature. I also decided that my son is doing this lifestyle change as well as my daughter on the way. Hopefully they will continue with this lifestyle when they get old enough to make their own decisions. However if they want to change, I'm not going to force them to do something that they don't want to. Anyhow I just wanted to share this story with everyone. I promise on my next post I will talk about hair and share pictures of my hair. Well until next time much love.

12 comments:

dreamangel75 said...

Best wishes on your diet changes! I do not eat a lot of meat myself. I tend to crave more vegetarian-like dishes over meat dishes. If I eat meat, I prefer chicken, fish, turkey or seafood. My typical weekly diet consists of non-meat dishes, for the most part.

dreamangel75 said...

Oh! One more point I like to add is I prefer eating organic over conventional. If I cook/bake, I use organic ingredients as much as possible.

If I had more time to cook/bake, I would like to cook my own meals on a daily basis. With so much going on and full-time school around the corner, I will have to settle with eating more conventional most times during the week over the next couple of years.

Goodnapps said...

Well that is fantastic you are taking the plunge for vegetarian.

You look so cute with your bump and all dressed up.

blackrussian said...

I have a lot of vegetarian/vegan friends and I have done it before for a few months at a time - not really out of any particular commitment to a lifestyle change, but b/c I don't really crave meat either and it's easy for me to just not buy it. I really hate to prepare raw meat, so if it was always up to me to cook it - I NEVER would.

I said all that to say that I have been giving serious thought to REALLY adopting a vegetarian lifestyle. I do think I would continue to eat fish and dairy, though. I don't HAVE to have eggs, but NOT EVER eating things that contain eggs would take some getting used to.

I wish you well in your endeavor and Thanks for sharing.

Maryee said...

Congratulations!!! I'll be checking in on your progress.

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy and the fact that you'll be having a girl. Have you chosen a name yet? I know you'll choose one with a special meaning that will speak to her destiny. May you continue to have a safe pregnancy and may your delivery go very well when the time comes.

Regarding your topic, I've been a vegetarian since December 1999, and like you, I hope to transition to a vegan lifestyle in the near future. I congratulate you on your efforts to attain optimum health. After all, we have only one body, so we might as well take care of since we have to live in it.

Presently, my diet is evolving in that, I'm moving towards eating more raw/living food, while keeping my cooked food intake to less than 50% of my daily diet. Sometimes I'm able to do this; other times, not, based on availability. However, I've noticed that when I consume more living food, I feel a positive change in my body and see an improvement in my general health and well being.

You've inspired me to speak about this topic in my blog. Our health is our wealth. Continue to invest in your health. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Meikmeika said...

I am so excited to read your news!!!!! YEAH!!! And thanks for the shout out!! I'm just happy people enjoy my pics...

As far as recipe recommendations. I'm an information junkie and I've purchased so many veggie cookbooks I don't even know where to start. For this reason I think you should check out the recipes on, most post recipes they got out of cookbooks:
vegweb.com
theppk.com
chooseveg.com (they actually have video clips that show you how to make some dishes, even though they're a bit annoying, they educate you none the less)
fatfreevegan.com (good low fat meals and sweets)
veganchef.com

Now the majority of the recipes posted on these sites are vegan but you can do a google search for vegetarian recipes..

Oh! Here are some sites I use and if I can veganize a recipe I'm interested in it, I'm game!
allrecipes.com
recipezaar.com
cooks.com

Also try to vegetarianize recipes that you currently make at home. Like using Morningstar Crumbles in place of ground beef or adding more beans in chili or making lasagne with or without the crumbles as well.

That's all I can think of now but if anything comes to mind I will post in your comments.

I'm so happy for you and I look forward to hearing about your progress!!!!

Naturally Sophia said...

Hi Sistalocd! Thanks for the honorable mention. I am a Pescetarian which means I eat both fish and certain types of shellfish. The Vegetarian Society does not recognize this as a vegetarian diet but as a Meditteranean Diet.
However, most common folks consider it a vegetarian diet. I mentioned on my blog that I was trying lacto-ovo but I am not ready to cut fish. I learned that thru trying. LOL! I am not ready to transition just yet to vegan.

For me vegetarianism is a spiritual process and a progression of health.

V said...

To: Dreamangel75
I have found that the organic food tastes better as well.

To: Goodnapps
Thank you for the compliment!

To: Blackrussian
I say go for it however it is important to do things in your own time.

To: Maryee
Thankyou

To: N'Drea
Thanks for the nice comments, no I haven't chosen a name yet but I have a few in mind. I heard that eating more raw/living food was better for you. I wish you luck on that because I know that will be a hard task for me well now at this time. Anyways can't wait to read your blog on the subject.

To: Meikmeika
Thanks for looking out. I appreciate all the websites as well. I did come across the Morning Star Crumbles however I had already purchased another brand if I don't like it I will try Morning Star next time. Once again thanks for the advice.

To: Naturally Sophia
No problem, I must have misread sorry, anyhow its still all good.

To: All the Ladies Thanks for stopping by and showing love, advice and support.

The knotty Truth said...

isnt it something how locking brings in a higher consciousness and we look for ways to take our journey purer and higher? I inc. fitness into my life 7 years ago and had to learn how to eat right to stay fit. It truely was a deprogramming. I've been desiring to go Vegan as well-but havent had the time to focus on the change. Now I do and I thankyou for this post and the links...it may be the thing to get me over the hump! ooooh and congrats on your bun in the oven!!!you look so cute!

NappyTexanGirl said...

sorry so late,
Congrats on the new announcement!! I have been trying to implement this new diet change by gradually replacing meat with beans. It is a struggle especially when my husband is a hard core carnivore. I think you will succeed. It is definitely a life-changing feat.

V said...

To: Cheleskilove68
I agree I think having locks do have an impact on our decisions about life and health. Thanks for the comment.

To: Dstdiva
Good luck on your change is well. May I ask why you decided to make that change.

To: NappyTexanGirl
Thanks. It is a challenge. I wish you luck as well. Just hang in there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...