Well I've been thinking for some time to combine some of my locks. Mostly the ones in the front because, I have a few that are really really small, thin, weak and have not locked and the ends are still open(loose). I figured that if I would combine some of them that will give them something to work with by speeding up the locking process. I'm not sure if my theory will work but it is worth a try. At first I really wasn't sure how to combine locks. However after reading a couple of blogs especially Cheleskilove's Blog I learned a lot. I also learned that there is a couple of ways, of combining locks. Now I'm trying to decide if I go through with combining some of my locks which method is the best method for me. Now I know I maybe asking for to much but I would like to combine my locks without messing up the parts too much. Is that possible? Probably not!
Anyhow I was thinking of going the lazy route by just combining two locks together by twisting them and then latch them together at the routes. However I am not so sure because I don't want it to look like I have twists in some parts of my hair. If anyone has ever tried this method does the appearance of the twists ever go away? Please inform me.
Another method I have heard about was just latching two locks together at the base and leave the ends alone. However I don't think I want two headed dragons in my hair either. I know eventually some people cut off the weaker locks. However being that my locks are kind of long now that will be defeating the purpose of trying to strengthen them and thicken them, and then I will have a lot more locks that are uneven.
Another method which is probably the best but the most tedious is actually sewing the locks together. I think this will create the look that I am looking for. I don't know if I want to go through with all that work. However this is my hair and if it is something that I want then I guess I have to make a sacrifice. I have one question though, do you leave the thread in the locks or do you eventually take the thread out? How long? Please educate me.
Now recently I have been feeling a little different about my locks. I was thinking about cutting them off and starting them over. Due to the fact that the ones in the front are taking their sweet little time to lock. However my husband talked some sense into me and I decided to wait a little longer and thought that combining some of those locks might be a better alternative.
I was trying to wait until the end of the year to decide what to do but it doesn't make any sense to wait so if I'm going to do anything I need to go ahead and do it soon! Now if I have missed some information about combining locks please be sure to let me know and if you have any suggestions don't be afraid to share. Until next time much love.
11 comments:
I know my consultant combined a couple of mine a while ago and I think she may combine more..sigh..
Hopefully others will respond. I do know my consultant tightened the roots of both locks together and once enough growth had occurred cut the weaker lock off.
Let us know how everything turns out.
If you can manage to comb them out and make them bigger, try that - please - before starting over.
I once thought about making my locks bigger, so I had 3 braided together and fastened with a knot made from artificial hair. The root was then maintained using the SL technique like the rest. The part that was combined doesn't look like a braid anymore, but it's not as even as the other locks. The root is just fine. You can find pictures in the archives of my blog, starting in January 2006 when I did it.
HTH,
Brunsli
I combined a couple of locks that were entirely too thin for my tastes. I two strand twisted them together at first, one pretty much stayed put after retwisting them together a couple of times. The other one that I combined did not want to cooperate and me being my usual impatient self combed it and the adjacent lock out and then braided the lose hair.
There was another blogger (I think her name is Blaqberry Locks) who twisted hers together and then used black hair thread throughout the newly combined lock to get it to stay put. HTH!
Oh yeah, the locks that I combined look the same as the others once they began locking. And I didn't really care about them looking different at first because I have so many no one noticed anyways :)
My consultant has combined a couple of my locks and you cannot tell the difference. Frankly, they were just too small. One thing she reminded me of at my last retightening as I was bemoaning how I am tired of my curly ends, my hair is not going to lock like anyone else's, it will lock at it own time. My hair may not lock completely for at least 2 years, and then my ends may never lock. I do not know if starting over is going to make your hair lock any sooner.
Everyone has different textures of hair in their head and patience, although mine is wearing thin, is important. The little reminder from my consultant made me sad for a moment, but it also reminded me that it is part of the whole process and I need to buck up and accept it. Wish I could offer more help on the combining all I know is my consultant combined them at the root and it really didn't mess of the parting, because the locks were small.
I have tried 2 of the methods you mentioned. I could not stand the fact that I had 400+ locks on my head nor did I like the look or texture of the spaghetti size locs I had. My consultant combined my whole head of locks into 2's at the base and left the ends out. I was still not satisfied with the amount of time it would take for the locs to actually look like 1 loc instead of 2, so I started simply twisting the 2 locs together that she had combined at the base. They stared "meshing" together very quickly. And no they don't look like they have been twisted either. I will have some pics posted sometimes this weekend so you can get an idea of how they will look. Hope this helps......
Meikmeika
Hopefully soon I will figure out which route I take. I don't want to have to cut anything off because I want to keep the length and make it thicker. I will keep you all updated.
Brunsli
Yeah I am starting to think that starting over may not be such a good idea. (Due to the fact that I still may have the same problems) Anyhow I will take a look at your blog. Thanks for sharing.
Southern Girl
I think I may go the two strand route. I think it may be two late to take some aloose and plus I wouldn't know what to do afterwards! I will have to take a look at her blog. After thinking about sewing I think even after putting two locks together it will still be too small and the thread will be very visible. Well you all gave me hope. I thought that it was too late in the locking process to start combining, but I guess I was wrong.
Cashana
Well that was well said. I guess I have come to reality. Thanks for sharing this response it has really helped. I think starting over is a bit drastic and like you said it may not change anything.
Nappy Texan Girl
Thanks for sharing. I think twisting together will be the method I choose. Now that I think about it my locks are so small no one would probably be able to tell that they where twisted together anyway. Can't wait to see pics. I will be looking! lol
Please talk to a consultant before combining. Seperating combined locs is a beast. I know because I took a few out some consultant combined without my permission. Your hair texture has a different curl pattern in different parts of your head. I think combining can be done by yourself; but since your into even locs and parts, I would say try a latching loctician or SL conultant capable of doing the job.
Girl, your hair is lookin lockish and lovely. And your growth is no joke. I see that hair coverin that neck! And lookatcha hookin ya own hair up. I ain't mad atch! As far as those ends closing, at 19 months I would say that about 60%-70% of mine have closed. Just a reminder this is a journey and it's different for each of us.
I have no recommendation on combining locks, but I wish you well with your decision on how to combine the locks. It seems the result we most desire usually requires the most sacrifice in time. haha :-)
Btw, clinicals are going well. Yesterday, in the OR, I observed a crainotomy. It was a great observation experience! Since I started clinicals, I barely have time to do anything else. This month is a crazy month for school: lots of assignments, exams, and clinicals. I barely have any free time! Take care.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment. I think its something in the air having everyone combining locs and what not..:o)
Anyway, you know that I am a traditional locer, but in the beginning I was going for the "sisterloc look". I simply 2st my locs together and let them go. What I didnt put in my blog was that I tookt he wraps off, took the sewing string out(yep, I seed some), and just let the 2 sts do their thing. Int he beginning I wasnt feeling the 2 st look when the other locs were locs, so I simply combined all of em. Now its like 2 almost 3 weeks later and they are doing awesome. the pattern is there but not so great that I dont want to look at it. Hope that helps a little!
Post a Comment