Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bantu ------> Not

Ok for some reason bantu knots/knot outs are not for me, lol. My bantu-knots did not turn out like I hoped they would. This was my 3rd attempt in all my locked years. They say practice makes perfect,  I guess I need to keep practicing, lol.

The problems I ran into
1) Some knots where to tight and some were too loose. Majority of them were too tight. I had them so tight that it caused a headache, and even so my head was hurting days after I took them down. Never again will  I torture myself. I left them in even when they were hurting because I wanted them to come out perfect, but that didn't happen.
2) I let my hair get too dry. It takes my hair forever to air dy now, so when ever I do braidouts or roller sets.  I let my locks dry a bit before I set them, however this time I let my locks get too dry, specially on the ends because they didn't have any curls when I took the bantu-knots down.
3)I did a single strand twist when I probably should have done a two strand twist, however I think the real problem was letting my hair get too dry.

What have I learned for my next attempt.
1) Do not make the bantu knots too tight to the point of causing headaches
2)Leave my hair a little damp, or if get s too dry, wet it again.
3)Try two-strand twists instead
4)Take my time setting the bantu-knots( I was kind of in a rush)

.
Question to my professional bantu-knoters (yes  imade that word up)


Do you single strand twist or two strand twist your hair/locks before putting them in bantu knots?





Do you see the curls? Of course you don't!
The curls that did come out werent too bad. I figure if I had done the bantu-knots properly I would have liked the results. I haven't given up I will attempt this look some time in the future!

Anyhow now on to my next style attempt. It may be a while.
 I'm installing Sisterlocks in my daughter's hair and Brotherlocks in my hubby's hair. So excited!

Until Next Time Much Love

6 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

Bantu suggestions:
1. make them smaller- maybe 3-5 locks per section for lasting curls and dampen them first allowing them to dry on your head

2. for an alternate style, double strad twist the sections of 10-2 locks then wrap in bantus

So your daughter and your hubby is next? Can you fit in a reti in between (in ATL ;)?

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a try sometime in the futre.

Lol @ fitting you in, in ATL. Not a problem.

anthia-ofo said...

I think I've done bantu knots 2x. It never turned out that good. Once I braided my daughter's locs, then bantu knotted the braids. That came out really nice. You probably need to 2 st twist or braid 1st on damp hair then knot them.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Anthia-Ofo

Thanks for the tips.

Cashana said...

Did this one time and it was a major fail. Didn't even attempt to blog about it.

Unknown said...

Bantu knots work great for me and should never hurt! If it seems to not hold use a hair pin to secure it in place. My locs are brand new not even a month old with 4 inches of growth to start and permed ends. Maybe longer s-locks present a challenge, but I two strand twist dampened hair (water only can't use products yet) then wrap into the bantu knot. I get worlds of curls in the morning and people think it's a wig. (I take that as a compliment)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...