Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The REAL Me... Take Me As I AM: I ditched the wigs!



So after about after a month in a half. I decided to ditch the wig. I couldn't stand it anymore. I felt like I wasn't being myself, that I was somebody else. My original plan was to wait until Jan to wear out my natural hair, but I'm so glad I didn't wait. Because I literally felt a weight lifting off of me once I let go of the wigs!

I know that may sound weird when I was already natural, but to go from natural then back to wigs, I was quite uncomfortable, and I'm glad I'm back to my regular self!

So what did my coworkers have to say?  See for yourself... I will share them with you below.

Believe it or not, I received majority of posistive comments. Most of my coworkers loved my hair and said it fitted me. For those that were unsure they just mentioned that I cut my hair.

Now the frequent comments that  baffled me where when people stated that I went natural or oh you cut your hair to go natural?  Ummm..... Huh?  Where have you been? I was already natural and have been for the past 5 years, lol! I guess some people out there still don't understand.

Anyhow one comment really took me by surprise was from a Spanish older woman. She didn't hold back anything.

Oh my what did you do to your hair? I don't like it.... you should put something there. Referring to a wig.. she doesn't speak much english but I'm pertty sure she was telling me that I need to put a wig or a weave on, lol. Now I could have gotten down and dirty with this woman but I didn't. I think I really did good specially coming from a Black Woman's perspective. I just told her that I like it, it's my hair, and thats all that matters.

Now from some of my Black male co-workers besides the ones mentioning that I cut my hair, there was no feed back what so ever, lol. I'm sure they have learned over the years.. if you  don't have anything nice to say about a womans hair don't say anything at all! LOL

What really caught me off guard was receiveing a compliment on my hair from a White male. He said he LOVED my hair, and that I looked much better without the wig! He has no idea how much he made my day.

So as you can see majority of the comments were positive, and although I know it shouldn't matter what people thought of my hair, I'm glad that alot of people shared their positive feedback. Me ditching the wig also has inspired a co-worker to go natural. I just hope she decides to hang in there.

Well I have more stories to share from my close friends and family, but thats a another post. Hope all is well with everyone. And Ladies please be alert during your everyday activities you know there are people out there willing to get anything for nothing. So becareful during this holiday season.


Until Next Time Much Love

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! It's funny, because when i use to sport my afro, a spanish lady on my job commented that i should relax my hair like Michelle Obama. Also, most of my compliments came from white men and women, the loved my natural look. From blacks, I got mixed reactions. I starting to see a lot more women at the hospital I work for make their transition from relaxed to natural. They're fed up of dealing with damaged hair. I'm glad you ditched the wig, your natural self is far more beautiful.

Kreyola said...

Way to go!!! I completely understand why you had to put away the wig. Your natural hair is beautiful as always. God Bless You and Your Family.

Rockin Robin said...

Your hair rocks! So glad you put away the wig. Sometimes negative comments from people get to us but turn it around and realize that they really are trying to take the focus off of themselves. Love you and your choices. You look good girl! Peace and Blessings!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

i'm glad most reactions have been positive. We don't live by remarks,but they give a much appreciated boost.And for the record, I agree,you look great with long and short hair!

Anonymous said...

It never fails, white people coming through with the compliments, which is always interesting. The blacks are usually non-responsive or rude. Then you got the old school islanders and hispanic telling you to perm your hair.

When it all comes down to it your happiness is what matters. Personally, I like the TWA on you!

KnottyAuthor said...

Yeyyyyy hey beautiful!

Abena Abena said...

Very helpful post, thanks for sharing. I haven't even cutt my locks yet and people HAVE NOT held back on their comments but I PRESS ON :) I will say most of them have been encouraging and supportive while others are SHOCKED and disppointed, but in a good way, because they said my journey with SL's has helped them so much (smiling)....BUT I want to share a funny one from my sister, my family always teases me and says I have a BIG head and my little sister said, "maybe you don't have a big head afterall under all that hair, I look forward to finding out"...LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...