Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Friday, December 15, 2006

My Hair Care Washing Routine & Braidout/Flat Twist Hair Style

Hello everyone I figured since I haven't shared with you how I care for my hair yet that this was a good time to do it! I was preparing myself to go to the Scream Tour 5 concert and I was trying to figure out what to do to my hair. So I decided that I would do a braidout. I usually wash my hair on the weekends but I figured if I wanted good results that it was better that I wash my hair and leave it braided while it was wet.

This is a picure of what I use to get ready to wash my hair and what I use on my hair after I wash it. Although I have been locked for 6 months now I still have to braid and band. I know at times I think that it is tidious work but it is oh so important, and plus not all of my ends are sealed, so I have to do what I have to do!
I decided to take some advice from two locked sisters! I got the spray bottle idea from the young woman on you tube. I'm sorry I don't know her name but I thank her for sharing the videos they were very helpful! I also got the soft scrunchie's idea from Mali's Blog The soft scrunchi's work better than the rubberbands, I have no fear of pulling my hair out when I use those soft scrunchie's.( Hey if anyone remebers the young lady's name on you tube. I would really appreciate it if you can share it with me, so I can give her the proper credit!)
Anyhow when I braid my hair I try not to braid the roots so tight so I can wash and scrub(gently) as much as the scalp as possible. I usually have more and smaller braids but I was in a rush and also lazy so I made them a little bigger!

I also use those clips for my shorter lcoks at the hair line because they won't fit into a braid and to prevent them from coming a loose while I wash, the clips really help hold them down. I have a problem with dandruff and dry scalp so my consultant recommended that I use this prodcut called Top Brass its anti-dandruff hairgroom cream, this has really helped my scalp when I first started using it I was using it everyday until my dandruff got under control, now I use it 2-3 timed out the week. Next I have is the Organic Root Stimulator Fertilizing Temple Balm I use this product once a day in hope of stimulating growth in my hairline and my weak and thin hair spots, I haven't seen any changes but I hope to see some soon. Let me add a very important note that it is very important to comb through and seperate each lock after you wash so you wont have lcoks joining together!


The end result now everyone knows that once they wash their hair and its dries that it shrinks up. I really don't care for shrinkage, but its something that I will have to deal with for now. I didn't like the end result of my braid out because of the shrinkage and plus it wasn't enough for me so I decided to try and flat twist my hair! This was originally suppose to be an experiment because it was my first time twisting my hair but I think for me doing this for the first time that it came out nice. So I have a few pics of my twist/braidout. I also decided to put butterfly clips on the twist to add a lil something extra! I do believe that I will defitnetly try this hairstyle again

16 comments:

Tequila Jackson Allen said...

You hair looks nice and our locks are coming along very nicely I see you use the same prodtc I am currently using top Brass by my consultant's request also and I live in the Miami area So who is your consultant?

GIgirl said...

Your hair looks cute, with the twists. I think I might have to steal this idea and give it a try this week.

Anonymous said...

I use the small scrunchies also! I got the idea from Mali's Sisterlock Blog.

V said...

To Lashunae
Yeah we do use the same product I think we do have the same consultant as well. I emailed oyou about that, is the product working for you? Wait a min.? I thought you were in Texas? Sorry I'm all ion your buisness! Just ignore me

To Gigirl
I don't mind as long as you don't mind if I steal that updo from you! lol

To Anonymous
I just checked out Mali's Blog and that is the young lady who I'm referring to thank you, and big thanks to Mali for sugessting the small scrunchies!

GIgirl said...

You know I do not mind if you steal the updo. Girl, that is what it is all about. Learning from each other as we go. I just noticed today that you put beads at the end of your twists. Did this help keep them in longer?

V said...

To gigirl
No those arent beads they are liitle butterfly clamps. I just put those on to spruce up the hairstyle but they did help somewhat with holding the twists down.

Goodnapps said...

Too cute girlie. The style looks great on you. Those butterfly clips are a wonderful idea.

V said...

To Goodnapps
Thank you I added those at the last minute!

Meikmeika said...

Your hair looks good!!! I'm getting used to the shrinkage tooThe braidout and the twists both look good on you. I really need to get those soft scrunchies.

Anonymous said...

Gurl, you are doing yo thang! I am amazed at your creativity - is it my laziness? LOL...but you have inspired me!

V said...

To Meikmeika
Thank you for your compliments. I really appreciate them, those scrunchies really come in handy!

To Blaqkofi
I am lazy too, I guess you can think of alot of things to do or try when you are bored, I'm glad I can be of some inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I really like this style Sistalocd - it suits you :-)

Thanks for the advice on the soft hairbands - my SL's are new so I haven't washed them yet. But I was worried about using elastic bands on them.

V said...

To mel

Thank you for your comments. Yeah I think they are better than using rubber bands

Maryee said...

I will always love the braid and band look. My hair was braid and band in my work out video. I may do it again since the "wiggles and waves" lasted so long! About 12 weeks. Now it's time to shampoo and retighten. Beautiful!!!1

V said...

Thanks Maryee

Miss Twists said...

Hey Sistalocd :-)

I saw a lady on youtube demonstrating washing sisterlocks using a spray bottle also. Hopefully it's the same person.

Her name is Carole and here is her website

http://www.coilsncurls.com/index.html

Take Care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...