Hello my name is Valencia but you can call me V. After years of damaging my hair, I knew there had to be a better way. So I decided to take the path to go natual and lock up. I was Sisterlcoked from June 2006 until Sept 2010 (4yrs). In which during that time I truly enjoyed my hair freedom. Unfortunately my journey had to come to end due to post partum hair loss. I have recently started a new journey this past September, and looking forward to all the ups and downs. As a new Sisterlocks™ Consultant I want to give women and men that same freedom.



Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pipe Cleaners



After several attempts of using pipe cleaners for curls in the past, I had decided to give them up because they were not producing the results that I was looking for.

Until I came across Loc Rocker's Blog she had posted a great tutorial of a fellow locker using pipe cleaners.

You can find the video HERE

You can find the video of her curls separated HERE
Her locks are absolutely fabulous!

I am so thankful for this video. I decided to curl my hair right after a wash. I followed the video tutorial exactly. Since it was the weekend and really didn't go anywhere I left the pipe cleaners in for like two days. Then when I finally took them out I left them as is. Turns out I really loved the results, I couldn't believe my eyes with the kind of curls I got. It looked like my locks were still on the pipe cleaners. I then walked around with my curls untouched for a couple more days. After about day 3 I couldn't resist, I wanted to see what my curls looked like separated. I was res really happy with the results, overall! This time it was a much better experience. I received alot of compliments. In fact these are my curls of choice at the moment. I have learned that it is all in the technique.

The only downside is due to the fact that I have several new locks in the front of my head, the curls were not as full and long, but it's okay. They will grow back soon enough.

Anyhow here are some more photos, enjoy!



Until Next Time Much Love...

Edited:1/28/10 @ 12:30p

I have realized that some may not have never seen pipe cleaners or know what they actually are so I decided to post a pic and some small info. I'm not really sure were the term pipe cleaners come from, but I have learned that it is also called chenille which is a type of corded yarn. They are soft and bendable, you can shape them anyway you'd like, you can cut them as well. You can find "pipe cleaners" or chenille from any arts and craft store or even the arts and craft section in Walmart. I really hope this helps with those who have questions. Also can anyone tell me from were the term pipe cleaners originated from. Were these things actually used to clean out small pipes? Just wondering.



Until Next Time Much Love...

20 comments:

PhePhi said...

wow! i like em alot. where can one purchase pipe cleaners? i think i wanna try 'em 2.

Bajan Lily said...

wow!i like!

Thandi said...

Please could you do me a favour and post a picture of the pipe cleaners?I have no idea what they look like. I assume you'd buy them at a hardware store...The style really does look great!

V said...

@ Phe Phi

You can purchase pipe cleaners @ Walmart or any arts and crafts store.

@ Bajan Lily
Thanks

@ Thandi

I will post a pic for you. I know the term of the pipe cleaners throw people off, because it threw me off. Not sure were the term came from but you can find them in an arts and kraft store. The name that is on the package that I have says chenile. They are soft and bendabale. They come in all kinds of colors. I hope this helps.

msfullroller said...

Wow, loads of beautiful curls before and after separating them. Very nice!!

ladybikerlele said...

The term "pipe cleaners" came from... well, pipe cleaners. My dad used to smoke pipes and that's what you used to get the tobacco residue out of the narrow tube of the pipe. (the things you remember from childhood...LOL)

Your hair looks great! My SLs are not quite long enough to try it, but I have a friend with traditional locks that are reaching her lower back. I encouraged her to try using PCs. After several explanations and sending her how to videos, she finally tried it and loved the results.

The knotty Truth said...

this is cute. i'll have to try it. the ends always hurted me, lol...so these tricks may work!

PhePhi said...

ok, so i watched the vid, as u suggested. all i have to say is wow! if i hadn't spent several hrs in the store earlier today, i would run out for sum pipe cleaners right now...LOL!

to answer your other ? about posting messages from my phone, here's what i did:

From the Dashboard I went to Settings. Then clicked on the Email & Mobile tab. Under "Posting Options" there's an "Email Posting Address" that should begin w/your email address, a blank rectangular box, & the blogger extension. You are able to put whatever you choose in the rectangular box. For example, phe2daphi.ilovemyhair@blogger.com. When you pick a name to your liking, you can use this address to send messages/pics directly from your phone. Once you're finished click "publish emails immediately" & click the Save Settings tab at the bottom. And, VOILA!! Please let me know if you're successful. It took me a while to figure this out...LOL. Good luck!!

V said...

@ ms. fullroller

Thanks for the compliments

@ ladybikerlele

Thanks for defining the term, I knew there was a reason behind it, just wasn't sure what it was.

@ cheleski

Thanks, you should try it I'm sure the results will be fabulous!

@ phephi
thanks for the info, I will give this another try, when i have the time.

Thanks for stopping by ladies, take care.

Khandi said...

Loving the look
Only tried pipe cleaners once but my locs were a lot shorter. I couldnt leave them in as i couldnt find black ones and so i got multi-coloured.
I do love Chescaleigh she has great tutorials

D'Empress said...

I LOVE the results. They're super curly. Looks like they'll last for days.

~Fe~ said...

Girl, I so love the end result! Fiyah!!! About the blogging from the phone.. Go under settings and mobile and register your phone..I have YET to figure out how to post pictures.. :( I'll keep you posted tho!

The knotty Truth said...

grl i emailed you at the yahoo like a week ago, sigh. we'll get it together.chk your email....

BlaqKofi said...

Wow! Beautiful. I feel guilty for not checking out your page b/4 now - but life...you know how it is. I can barely keep my blog updated these days with full-time, Sisterlocks, hubby and family. It seems we're on the same post wave length. I see your great post on budget products. I washed braided and curled my hair two weeks ago with bendable rods and the results are very similar to your pipe cleaners set. I'll post pics soon. Keep up the good work and info. I'm so proud of you!!!

V said...

@ Khandi
I didn't like my 1st pipe cleaners set either, i think they look much better on longer locks.

@ Fe
Thanks for the compliments,and the help, I will give it another try.

@ Chele
We will, lol. I think we have.

@ BlaqKofi
Yes I can only imagine how busy you are. I look forward to seeing your curls.

LadyButterfly said...

Lovin' those curls girly! :)

Absoulutely Gorgeous. Congrats to you and hubby too. ~You have a beautiful family. May God bless your little one on the way too! Take Care and Keep Rockin' those locks! :)

Naturally Sophia said...

ohh super cute.

V said...

@ Lady Butterfly

Thanks for the compliments

@ Sophia

Thanks

CheLouissaint said...

Beautiful, I think this is how I want my curls for graduation, going to get myself some pipe cleaners need to find a tutorial though because I suck with rollers!

V said...

Thanks, you should try it you will love the results! I linked a tutorial in the post, check it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...